Concept Number: *355
English Master: Evolutionary-Project-Management
Synonyms, Variations & Acronyms: Evo *355 Evo-Management *355 Evolutionary Delivery Management *355 Value-Management, Value-Project-Management. Value-Delivery.
None of the following words are perfect synonyms, but since each Author and company has a long list of extremely similar features that make up these Processes, they are close enough.
Rapid Delivery Management (Acronym: RDM), Result Delivery (These synonyms are used within Jet Propulsion Labs. [SPUCK93]
Synch-and-stabilize or Milestone Approach (These synonyms are used within Microsoft [CUSUMANO95].
Key components include:
• frequent delivery of System changes (Evo-Steps)
• Evo-Steps delivered to Stakeholders for real use
• feedback obtained from Stakeholders to determine next Evo-Step(s)
• the existing System is used as the initial System base
• small steps (ideally between 2%-5% of total project financial Cost and time)
• steps with highest value and benefit-to-cost ratios given highest Priority for delivery
• feedback used ‘immediately’ to modify future plans and Requirements and, also to decide on the next step
• total Systems approach (‘anything that helps’)
• results-orientation (‘delivering the results’ is prime concern)
Figure *355: Conceptual view of Evo [HUMMEL02]. Notice that the design changes over time: it does not just get ‘incremented’. Of course, it is not a Requirement that the design has to fundamentally change at each step! Compare with Figure *318 in Incremental-Development *318.
Historical Note: Evolutionary-Project-Management had an early large-scale Documented use in the Cleanroom techniques used by Harlan Mills within IBM in the 1970s [MILLS80]. [LARMAN03] gives a comprehensive history of the method.
This Concept entered by Adore