Concept Number: *058
English Master: Estimate
Synonyms, Variations & Acronyms: Predict
This includes all performance and Cost Attributes.
Estimate: or “Estimated:”
This is a Benchmark specification used when there is no Past or Trend or Record, and you need to develop an estimate for a certain period ( for example “ This Year”)
Headline: exceed USD 30 million
Scale: US$ gross revenue in a single financial year.
Past  $? Mill.
Estimate  $? Mill.± 10% <- CFO
Goal [2006, Constraint = Operating Margin < 20%] $30 mill.
1. Estimates__ are usually made where direct Measurement is:
• impossible (future), or
• impractical (Past), or
• uneconomic (current Levels).
2. An estimate is usually derived from available information, and Past experience.
3. An estimate can be made for numeric facts from the Past (Benchmarks), even if precise Past data is not available.
4. Estimates are made about any Scalar System Attribute: Cost-Levels, Resource availability, Product-Value Levels, savings and other dimensions of Systems.
- “The same icon as Cell. This icon is symbolic of an Value-Decision-Table. In the USA, this icon is the “number” symbol.”
This Concept entered by Diane O'Brien.